Higher duties allowance

There is more than one teacher acting up at our school as a result of the teacher or principal going on leave. Can we charge the Higher Duties Allowance (HDA) for all these teachers to TeachNZ?

Yes. The school can charge HDA for all teachers who are taking on additional responsibilities as a result of the teacher or principal taking leave. For example, if the principal goes on leave and the deputy principal acts as principal, a head of department acts as deputy principal and a teacher acts as head of department, the school can charge HDA for all three teachers acting up provided they meet the conditions in the relevant collective agreement.

Can more than one teacher be paid Higher Duties Allowance (HDA) for acting in the position of the teacher on leave?

Yes. For example, if the deputy principal who holds six units was on leave, two assistant principals acting up could be paid HDA to the equivalent dollar value of up to three units each, as long as the cost is no more than the deputy principal’s position in total. Please refer to the conditions in the relevant collective agreement.

Our principal is going on leave. Can we have two teachers act up to share the role of acting principal?

No. Only one person can act as principal at any one time. However the role could be split between two teachers if, for example, one teacher acted up for term 2 and another teacher acted up for term 3. Please see the appropriate collective agreement (clause 3.16 of the PTCA, 3.11 of the ASTCA or 4.15 of the STCA0 for the conditions around the allowance for acting as principal.

The teacher who is going on leave receives permanent or fixed term units. Will they continue to receive the units while on leave?

Permanent units will continue to be paid while the teacher is on leave. Whether fixed term units are paid to the teacher on leave is at the discretion of the principal and board of trustees. If the school decides to allocate them to the teacher on leave you can pay the relief teacher the equivalent dollar value as a Higher Duties Allowance (HDA), charged to TeachNZ. This is the same process as for permanent units. Check the HDA conditions such as the maximum equivalent units that can be paid as part of this allowance.

What is the maximum number of units a teacher can receive the higher duties allowance (HDA) for?

The HDA is the difference between the employee’s existing salary and the rate for the position they are acting up into. The maximum value of the HDA payable per teacher is the equivalent dollar value of three salary units, unless the teacher is acting up into the principal’s role.

For example, if a deputy principal going on leave has three units, and the assistant principal acting up has two units, they will receive HDA to the value of one unit. A teacher acting up into the assistant principal role can receive the HAD for the two units attached to that role.

Where can I find more information on HDA conditions?

Primary Teachers’ Collective Agreement (PTCA) – clauses 3.13 & 3.14
Area School Teachers’ Collective Agreement (ASTCA) – clauses 3.11 & 3.12
Secondary Teachers’ Collective Agreement (STCA) – clauses 4.15 & 4.16

New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand