Reprioritised teacher supply initiatives in response to COVID-19
Published on 13 October 2020
With our borders closed to overseas teachers wanting to work in New Zealand, the Government has approved the reallocation of funding to bolster domestic teacher recruitment in response to COVID-19.
The following domestic recruitment initiatives are available now:
- Teacher Education Refresh programme enrolment places to help qualified teachers return to or stay in the classroom.
- Domestic recruitment support from recruitment agencies Oasis Education Limited, and EP Education Ltd.
From 26 October 2020, you will also be able to apply for:
- Domestic Relocation Grant (DRG) - If you are a teacher returning to or beginning teaching and if you move within New Zealand to fill a teaching vacancy, you may be eligible for reimbursement of actual incurred relocation costs. For criteria and funding provisions please visit DRG.
- Domestic Finder’s Fee (DFF) - ECEs or schools recruiting teachers already living in New Zealand and returning to or beginning teaching may be eligible for reimbursement of actual incurred recruitment costs. For criteria and funding provisions please visit DFF.
- Recruitment, Retention, and Responsibility National Fund (3RNF) - We are re-introducing the 3RNF fund to support schools that have struggled to attract a qualified teacher - this fund enables schools to employ people with subject matter expertise as a Limited Authority to Teach (LAT) teacher. For criteria and funding provisions please visit 3RNF.