Applying for registration

The Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand (Teaching Council) is responsible for teacher registration. You can apply for provisional registration as soon as you've graduated. When you first apply for registration, you’ll be granted registration and a provisional practising certificate that expires after three years.

You’re expected to gain a full practising certificate registration by completing a two year induction and mentoring programme within the three-year timeframe, six years of when you first become registered. If you are unable to meet the requirements for a full practising certificate in the six year timeframe then you will need to complete a Teacher Education Refresh (TER) programme in order to be eligible for a further provisional practising certificate. However, if you can demonstrate that you have made significant progress towards meeting the requirements for full then you can apply for a review to the TER programme requirement.

Early Childhood Education

Graduates with early childhood education teaching qualifications are entitled to seek teacher registration from the Teaching Council. All teachers at supervisor level in early childhood services must be registered with the Education Council before beginning teaching employment.

Primary and Secondary

All teachers at primary and secondary level must be registered with the Teaching Council before beginning teaching employment.

For more information, please contact:

Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand 

Level 11 

7 Waterloo Quay, Pipitea 

Wellington 6011

New Zealand


Phone: +64 (0) 4 471 0852




New Zealand Teachers Council New Zealand Education Gazette New Zealand Qualifications Authority Immigration New Zealand